Ireland

Ireland
Irish Spring

Monday, July 20, 2015

Day 19   Yosemite 6/15/15
Magnificent splendor, a shrine to nature, a national treasure


My cousin David and his family: wife Joan,son Alex, Daughter Lidia with her boyfriend, Jestin, live in Clovis a  short drive to Yosemite.

We spent a wonderful day here. 

As a child, my family and I camped here for a week, a highlight of my life. 

I was not more than 10 but the beauty greatly impressed me.


                           
One of Yosemite's greatest splendors is it's waterfalls. 
 I remember their flowing magnificence, now reduced to windblown wisps. 
At this point, they must be dry.  
The ranger said there were only a few weeks of flow left.
My most impressive memory was that of the Yosemite Firefall.  
(not my photo)
Burning embers were spilled from the top of Glacier Point 
to the valley 3,000 ft below.  
This summertime spectacular began in 1872 and ended in 1968. 
 Because it is not a natural event, it was suspended. 
 A good idea. but I feel fortunate I was able to see it.
 We are all fortunate in America that these parks were set aside for all to enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment